A picture is worth 1,000 words, so make sure your LinkedIn profile picture is sending the right message. Many employers review candidates’ LinkedIn profiles to get a sense of personality and style, and form an opinion of them before even meeting. Some helpful tips to stand out in a sea of other potential employees are listed below.
- Make sure you have a photo. LinkedIn filters folks with the grey avatar to the bottom of every search.
- Keep your attire, hair, and accessories professional and subtle. An extreme look will be distracting and overwhelming to potential employers.
- Solo photos are best. Having more than one person in the photo will cause confusion.
Also, avoid cropping a group photo unless it can be done with skill.
- Select a current photograph. You want to be recognized when appearing for an interview or when someone is searching for you after meeting at a networking event.
- The quality of the photograph should be high enough resolution where the photo is not pixilated or grainy.
- Pick the right photographer. It doesn’t have to be a professional, but it should be someone who can make you smile in a natural way.
- NO SELFIES! Leave the bathroom mirror shots for your facebook page.
- Wear solid dark colors
- Avoid strapless dresses or tops, you will appear naked
Don't forget to put these tips to use at our August 23rd event, "The Care and Feeding of Your Professional Image." You'll be able to get free professional headshots and resume advice! Check out the details here.